Sunday with your kids
Lesson summary: In the midst of Israel's great sin, God raises up a prophet.
In our bible story we learned:
1. The word of the Lord is ignored by Eli's house
2. The word of the Lord comes to Samuel
3. Samuel delivers the word of the Lord to Eli
Where is Jesus?
How does today's Bible story fit into God's greater plan of redemption?
Read 1 Samuel 2:26; Luke 2:52.
In the midst of corruption within Eli’s household, God sent a man to prophesy the coming of a faithful priest who would be obedient to the heart and mind of God. The final fulfillment of this promise came in the life of Christ. Jesus did only what his Father commanded him to do (John 14:31). Jesus is a faithful high priest forever (Hebrews 7:21–24). Samuel was also a foreshadowing of Christ. Very similar language is used to describe both Samuel and Jesus (compare 1 Samuel 2:26 and Luke 2:52).
Family Discipleship - "Time" in the Home
We are on week 52 which starts on page 345 in the Long Story Short devotional. Here are some questions you'll encounter as you go through this week's devotionals:
- What do you think it would of been like to be Samuel when the Lord called him at night? (day 2)
- Did Eli still have time to repent of (turn away from) his sins? (day 2)
- Did you ever have a time when Mom or Dad had to give you more than one warning to turn away from your sin? (day 2)
- What does it mean to be faithful? Why is Jesus the only one who could be a faithful priest forever? What does a priest do? (day 3)
- What happens to us if we refuse to turn away from our sin? How can we be saved from our sin? (day 4)
- How can we escape God's judgment? (day 5)
Pray about it! Ask God to help you turn away from your sin the first time Mom or Dad ask you. Praise God that He has made a way for us to escape His punishment so we can live in heaven with Him.
Scripture memory in July
Check out the highlighted portion below to see what verses we will recite in our Gathering Sunday August 5th.