Day 1: The King Has Come! (Sunday)
READ: Luke 19:28-40
SUMMARY: It's Palm Sunday and the King has come, just as God promised He would.
- Do you remember what happened in Israel's history that is celebrated at Passover (see Exodus 12)? Do you think it means anything that Jesus rode into Jerusalem as Passover week was starting?
- Why was Jesus the only one qualified to carry out this rescue mission?
- Can you think of a time when you did something that showed how much you need to be rescued by Jesus too?
PRAY: Thank God for keeping his promises to send a Rescuer.
SING: "Praise to the Lord, the Almighty"
Day 2: Sad and Angry (Monday)
READ: Luke 19:41-48
SUMMARY: Jesus weeps over the people who would reject Him and teaches about true worship.
- When he was thinking about being rejected by the people, does it surprise you that Jesus was sad enough to cry?
- Why was Jesus so angry with the salesmen in the temple?
PRAY: Ask God to give you a heart of compassion and love for the lost.
FAMILY ACTIVITY: Paint the praises (see book)
SING: "Solid Rock" and "Win My Soul" ** (get ready to sing this one for our Good Friday Gathering!)
Day 3: Teaching in the Temple (Tuesday)
READ: Luke 20:9-18
SUMMARY: Jesus predicts His death and warns those who refuse God's rescue plan.
- What does Jesus mean in verse 16 when he says in the story that the vineyard would be given to others?
- Why were religious leaders so upset when Jesus said this?
- How are we like the tenants in the parable?
PRAY: Thank God that He has made salvation available for people of every nation.
SING: "Jesus, I My Cross Have Taken" & "The Church's One Foundation"
Day 4: A Different Kind of King (Wednesday)
READ: Luke 21:20-28
SUMMARY: Jesus was not the kind of king the people expected or wanted
- Why do you think God allowed Jerusalem to be destroyed?
- Why do you think Jesus warned the people about God's judgment?
- As we prepare to celebrate Easter, how should we think about the second coming of Jesus?
PRAY: Ask God to help you live in joyful anticipation of Jesus' second coming.
FAMILY ACTIVITY: Two crowns (see book on page 28)
SING: "How Deep the Father's Love for Us" and "Win my Soul" ** (get ready to sing this one for our Good Friday Gathering!)
Day 5: The Two Cups (Thursday)
READ: Luke 22:14-23, 39-44
SUMMARY: The cup of salvation and the cup of God's anger
- What does Jesus mean when He says in Luke 22:22 that He will go "as it has been determined?"
- Why did Jesus have to suffer the wrath of God? Why couldn't God just overlook our sin?
- When you ask God to forgive you for something you did wrong, how can you know for sure that you will be forgiven?
PRAY: Thank Jesus for suffering the wrath that we deserve.
SING: "There is a Fountain Filled with Blood" and "Hallelujah for the Cross"
Day 6: The Most Important Day in History (Friday)
READ: Luke 23:32-47
SUMMARY: Jesus dies on the cross as a punishment for our sin.
- Was Jesus powerful enough to fight back and free Himself from the cross? Why do you think He didn't?
- What did the Roman soldier who saw Jesus' death think afterward (Luke 23:47)?
PRAY: Thank God for dying in our place so that we could be brought back to Him.
FAMILY ACTIVITY: Display the cross (see page 34)
SING: "Jesus Paid it All" and "It was Finished"
Day 7: The Dark Day in Between (Saturday)
READ: Luke 23:50-56
SUMMARY: Jesus is dead in the grave.
- Can you think of a time when bad things happening around you made it difficult to believe that God had a good plan for you?
- Have you ever had trouble believing that someone would keep a promise? How is God different than other people who make promises?
PRAY: Ask God to help you overcome fear and doubt by trusting in His promises.
SING: "When I Survey the Wondrous Cross"
Easter Sunday - Your kiddo is up!
It's going to be a special day of celebration in our Gathering for Easter and what better way to remember the resurrection by inviting our kids to quote their memory verse! Check out the highlighted portion below to see what verses we will recite in order to best prepare your family.